“Whenever I’m sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead.”
Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother
How I Met Your Mother was and still is by far my all-time favourite TV series. For those of you who don’t know what How I Met Your Mother (HIMYM) is, (I’m assuming there aren’t many of you), its an American sitcom which ran from 2005 – 2014. The series follows the main character, Ted Mosby, and his group of friends in Manhattan as Ted tells the story to his two kids of how he met their mother.
I have learnt many important life lessons from this TV show. Some of which are listed below:
- Don’t chase after what doesn’t work. Let the universe take over.
- Things happen for a reason.
- Nothing good happens after 2am.
- Some people are worth a lot of work to keep around.
- Wait for it.
- Don’t ever give up crazy times with your friends.
- The important moments shouldn’t be wasted, because you can’t get them back.
- Give as many high-fives and you get.
- Play laser tag once a week, at least.
- Don’t postpone joy.
- Whatever you do in life, it’s not legendary unless your friends are there to see it.
- You can’t cling to the past. Because not matter how tightly you hold on, it’s already gone.
- Brunch is for couples. That’s it. And families, but not alone!
- If you are close enough to your friends, you can forgive them for the little things that drive you nuts.
- You can’t jump straight to the end, the journey is the best part.
- Life is short. Have fun, meet new people, be a little reckless every once and awhile. Do what you’re afraid to do, just to prove to yourself you can do it.
- Take risks.
- You always know what you truly want, you just have to be willing to let yourself have it.
- Listen to your heart.
- Honesty is everything.
- Focus on the good, it will always outweigh the bad. Stay positive. “When I get sad I stop being sad, and be awesome instead.”
- Don’t settle for less than you deserve.
- Don’t go for something that is convenient, go for what feels right.
- Closure is necessary.
- Appreciate the little things in life.
- People can change.
- You learn who you are when you’re single.
- Dress to impress.
- Make mistakes.
- Friends are forever.